Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Change of Plans

So Mom hasn't been feeling the best for about 9 months now, but today was a little different. I woke up and was playing in my room, when there was a loud crash. We aren't exactly sure what happened (ok, I know what happened but I take the fifth and choose not to incriminate myself), but somehow my Justice League framed poster came crashing down off my wall. Mom and Dad ran to my room to make sure I was ok, which I was. So, I'm not sure if this event is what caused it, but next thing you know Mom and Dad are getting ready for the hospital and Ms. Lissa is coming over to take care of me. I just thought they got their days confused, as Baby Reed wasn't scheduled to come until Monday. None of the hustle and bustle phased me as I was busy watching "Up" in Mom and Dad's room. Next thing you know Aunt Woo Woo arrives from Austin and I find out I'm a Big Brother.

I don't think I knew what type of responsibility the title Big Brother takes on until I got to meet Baby Reed. I have a lot of work to do with that kid. All he does is eat, sleep and snuggle. That means I need to teach him everything else, like walking, talking, playing Batman castle, jumping from the couch and wrestling. Man, this is going to take some time. I must admit that I sure do love the little guy and can't wait to get him home so we can be a complete family. Special thanks to Ms. Lissa for watching me on last minute notice and Woo Woo, Grammie and Pop Pop for coming up to take care of me.

Here's Mommy at the hospital. She was in lots of pain, but I think she still looks pretty great. You can see Baby Reed's heartbeat on the top and Mommy's contractions on the bottom. Dad's lucky the line went back down when he was taking pictures, otherwise I don't think Mommy would have let him stick around. (Please note, how many times the line is off the charts....Mommy sure is brave as they didn't give her any pain meds until surgery time.)
And here he is, Baby Reed, all 8 pounds 12 ounces of him. Thanks to the great Dr. for delivering him. Reed's almost too big for her to hold.Here's my not so little brother's stats. He was born at 11:31 am on November 15, 2009 and weighted in at a hefty 8 lbs 12 ounces and measured 21 inches long.
Baby Reed all cleaned up and snuggly.
Chillin' in the nursery. Needless to say he looked huge next to the 3 pound baby born the same day.
Hanging out with Mommy.
First time I officially met Reed. I was super gentle, and potentially more excited to explore the hospital.
Mommy gave me one of her popsicles. It was grape and delicious. Apparently, being a big brother has it's benefits.
Talking to Reed.
Close up of the baby. Yep, you will make a good Robin to my Batman.

1 comment:

Megan said...

What a great post, Riley! You will make an AWESOME big brother. Congratulations on the completed Blackman Family!